Question:
Anyone recommend good jazz music/artists?
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
Anyone recommend good jazz music/artists?
Sixteen answers:
2007-05-16 08:38:34 UTC
There are tons of great saxophonists. Here is a list of the pretty darn famous ones. Some you can find CDs for, some you can't. Enjoy.

Clifford Jordan

James Carter

Christopher Hollyday

Steve Grossman

Jimmy Forest

Benny Golson

Bob Mintzer

Ralph Lalama

Joshua Redman

Sonny Stitt

Stan Getz

King Curtis

Bill Evans

Grover Washington, Jr.

Wardell Gray

Buck Hill

Maceo Parker

Pete Christlieb

David "Fathead" Newman

James Moody

Dexter Gordon

Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis

Jan Garbarek

George Coleman

Ornette Coleman

Charles Lloyd

Ben Webster

Michael Brecker

Stanley Turrentine

Gerry Mulligan

Bud Freeman

Gene Ammons

Don Menza

Johnny Griffin

Joe Henderson

Teddy Edwards

Paul Quinichette

Matt Rippetoe

Sidney Bechet

Dewey Redman

Jackie McLean

Sonny Fortune

Archie Shepp

Bud Shank

Lennie Niehaus

Oliver Nelson

Anthony Braxton

Jeff Gray

Lucky Thompson

Eric Dolphy

Arthur Blythe

Louis Jordan

Paul Gonsalves

Nick Brignola

Ernie Wilkins

Charles McPherson

Johnny Hodges

David Sanborn

Rahsaan Roland Kirk

Benny Carter

Ike Quebec

Bobby Watson

Wayne Shorter

Branford Marsalis

Lester Young

Charlie Parker

Art Pepper

John Zorn

Dave Liebman

Andrew White

Sonny Rollins

Scott Hamilton

Chu Berry

Oliver Lake

Cannonball Adderly

Steve Marcus

John Coltrane

Frank Foster

Tommy Newsom

Gary Bartz

Von Freeman

Pepper Adams

Kenny Garrett

Sonny Criss

Ernie Watts

Jimmy Heath

Charlie Barnet

Wayne Marsh

Zoot Sims

Illinois Jacquet

Booker Ervin

Lou Donaldson

Phil Woods

Billy Mitchell

Pete Brown

Coleman Hawkins

Paul Desmond

Gato Barbieri

Tony Coe

P.J. Perry

Teddy Hill

Bill Hood

Cecil Payne

Joe Farell

Harold Land

John Hardee

Hank Crawford

Frank Morgan

Moe Koffman
2007-05-15 20:05:57 UTC
Here are the current, most popular Jazz songs musicians want to learn to play:

- Everything by Michael Buble

- Time To Say Goodbye by Sarah Brightman

- The Nearness of You by Norah Jones

- Misty by Nat King Cole

- Why Should I Care by Diana Krall

- On Green Dolphin Street by Ella Fitzgerald

- Bossa Nova U.S.A. by Dave Brubeck

- You Must Believe in Spring by Bill Evans

Since you mentioned sax, you might like John Coltrane classic solos for saxophone, including.

All or Nothing at All, The Inch Worm, It's Easy to Remember, My Favorite Things, My Ideal, My One and Only Love, My Shining Hour, Softly as in a Morning Sunrise, They Say It's Wonderful and What's New.

You can find more Jazz songs listed at http://download-sheet-music-online.com/jazz.html

http://download-sheet-music-online.com/jazz.html
?
2016-05-19 06:02:17 UTC
The person I love the most for jazz and some of the people i heard are good are: Ray Charles is really nice for classical and some jazz (stick with the classic) 1. Miles Davis 2. Harry Connick Jr. 3. Scott Joplin
playemncem
2007-05-15 16:33:15 UTC
Boney James & Dave Koz rock! for modern Jazz.

Kirk Whalum

Kim Waters

Candy Dolfer

Richard Elliott

David Sanborn

Keith Anderson

Kenny Garrett
Teaim
2007-05-15 15:19:40 UTC
Booker Ervin

Eric Dolphy

John Coltrane

Joe Henderson

Julius Hemphill

Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis

Wayne Shorter

(Rahsaan) Roland Kirk

Gene Ammons

Sonny Stitt

Lester Young

These guy are all masters.

If you want, browse my answers for jazz suggestion. I answer a lot of "looking for jazz" questions.
2007-05-15 17:09:52 UTC
For sax try listening to Lester Young, Coleman Hawkins, and Charlie Parker.
slim1234
2007-05-15 14:02:15 UTC
Check out the late Michael Brecker...Jazz is a very wide genre. I personally like sax players such as Dexter Gordon, Coleman Hawkins, John Coltrane, Bill Evans, Bob Berg, Stan Getz...If you like way out stuff, check out Ornette Coleman!!!
Darwin K
2007-05-15 15:04:46 UTC
I would like to add Kim Waters, Kirk Whalum, John Klemmer, Grover Washington, Jr., Dave Koz, Boney James and Najee. They are more from recent times...within the past 25 years, but I listen to them all the time (along with the past masters.)
navigate33
2007-05-15 16:11:22 UTC
Dave Coz, Nelson Rangell, Chris Botti (trumpeter though)
2007-05-15 14:01:20 UTC
I've never known who played what, but Miles Davis (in particular the Birth of Cool and Kind of Blue), John Coltrane, Thelonious Monk, Charles Mingus, and Louis Armstrong are a great place to start. They're the classics for a reason.

I would also check out this african artist named Fela Kuti. I've only really heard his 2 disk best of, but it's really great.

And the person above is totally right. How could I forget Charlie Parker?
Sophie
2007-05-15 13:57:22 UTC
Charlie Parker was one of the best Jazz Saxophones oh his time. I highly recomend him. He's my favorite!
idontwantasalad
2007-05-16 11:23:43 UTC
Dave Koz

Mindy Abair

Tom Scott

to name a few
monkeymonkey143
2007-05-15 14:02:56 UTC
yes, Charlie Parker. Also try some John Coltrane or Cannonball Adderly. I like Sonny Rollins, too. There are so many GREAT ones out there, but for every great one there's also a dozen mediocre ones...
Jacob B
2007-05-15 14:20:58 UTC
Try 480 East's new record En Route.
Spencer
2007-05-15 14:56:46 UTC
i recommend ryan farish he is like new age/jazz his music sometims appears on the weather channels local on the 8s ok well have a great day!!
Jack Kerouac
2007-05-15 14:09:12 UTC
yes

john coltrane, charles bird parker, miles davis, ornette coleman, stan getz, dexter gordon, paul desmond, don braden ...

so many to chose from...so man y different styles....

but you cant go wrong with coltane or parker