Question:
Cecilio saxophones?
pianomike92
2007-05-18 22:57:55 UTC
I've been looking around for a (good) colored alto saxophone to buy & play with my brass one. I went on Google and found purple, red, and green saxophones from the maker Cecilio.

This is the only company I can find that has these colors, but the prices show it's been cut from $799 to about $299-$399.

I've heard that good saxophones shouldn't be under about $1000, but I'm not sure. Are these ones worth the money if they just fall apart when I play them?
Four answers:
2007-05-21 23:34:54 UTC
I would not recommend buying one of those cheap colored saxophones. Save your money and buy something nice. I have heard nothing but bad things about saxophones that cheap. They probably wont fall apart, but you will notice that the pads do not seal properly, and then you have to spend time and money getting them fixed, if they can be fixed at all. You can tell a definate difference in cheap and good quality saxophones as with any instrument, especially with sound quality. Please consider my warnings before even thinking about buying something like that.
2007-05-24 09:06:13 UTC
Try to avoid gimmicky colors when buying a sax, especially when they are being shipped from China and India. I am not sure about Cecilio saxes, but if they are selling from 300 to 400 dollars, they are probably not too good in quality.

I disagree that you need to spend $1000 or more for a good saxophone. I have been playing for 40 years and I found that most people cannot tell the difference in the sound of one horn to another. Solid construction, good feel and ease of playing makes a good horn, not necessarily a French craftsman. Here is a suggestion:

A guy named Dominic (Dominic's Music) sells his own line of horns on eBay - DC Pro. These are very solid, great sounding horns (I like the 'big bell' series) that cost much less than $1000. So, take your $1000 and buy a DC Pro and spend the rest on a good mouthpiece (Otto Link, Meyers, Runyon, Jody Jazz) and quality reeds. After all, it all starts with your mouthpiece and reed.

By the way, my Alto comes from Taiwan (Monique) and I love the way it plays. I used to play a Selmer Mark VI Alto and I cannot tell the difference in feel and response. As a matter of fact, all of my horns come from Taiwan and they all play and sound great.
lavernejazz
2007-05-18 23:48:53 UTC
How long have you been playing? I started playing sax over 30 years ago on a sax that my two sisters used..As I progressed I began to have a desire to play more and better so I advanced..You must make sure you are going to persevere. Make sure that your sax doesnt have leakage..You check this by playing over the range and making sure the notes sound properly..You can get a professional to do that at a music store..Good luck and I hope to hear from you soon!!As you gradually increase your skills.. then MAYBE you will invest in a more expensive one..
?
2016-05-17 11:51:53 UTC
they are not great, but not horrible. good step-up instrument, but definitely not for professional work.