Question:
Is the soprano saxophone similar to the alto saxophone?
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
Is the soprano saxophone similar to the alto saxophone?
Four answers:
The Real Deal
2007-05-22 15:10:30 UTC
The notes are the same from alto to soprano, but the instruments are in two different keys. So, if you play a C on the alto, it's an Eb on the piano, but if you play a C on the soprano, it's a Bb on the piano. But the fingerings and the notes that you read on the page are exactly the same.

The other thing to be aware of is that the soprano is notorious for being out of tune. But this can be avoided through practice and embouchure development.
devious461
2007-05-22 08:39:08 UTC
All of the saxes are exactly the same when it comes to fingering positions and keys. The only thing is the different keys that each sax is in. Alto is in E flat and soprano I believe is in B flat. So pressing a G on the alto is exactly the same way you press it on a tenor and all other saxes.
James M
2007-05-22 08:37:43 UTC
Soprano Sax is B flat, like a tenor. Soprano Sax doesn't have the literature written for it that other saxophones have and is relegated to Jazz, etc. only. An Alto is e flat, rather than b flat...

the switch is easy if that's what you want to do... relax... you're no moron... you can play a sop. sx. if that is what you really want to do..
2007-05-22 11:25:12 UTC
It isnt bad to switch off, but it will take a while for you to adjust your embochure to the soprano. As others have said it is notorious for being out of tune, and playing higher notes on it can be tricky. In my personal opinion, the differences in higher quality soprano saxophones is much more noticable than that between the other saxophones. I have played on rented sopranoes and then I played on my own Yamaha 675 SS which was night and day with the other one. So make sure you choose carefully. Also as others have said, performing with the soprano is a lot more limited than the other saxophones, unless you have an open minded band conductor who wants to put one in place of an oboe or something. If I were you I wouldn't make that your main instrument. I would play another for a while longer to get your skills down, and then have a soprano as a secondary sax. Jazz conductors like to see that you are versatle. If you need any other help email me (jam3086@yahoo.com) cause I can sit here all day and tell you about my experiences with the soprano, but I dont have enough room.