Question:
can someone recommend me some jazz?
and a
2007-05-15 20:49:50 UTC
Particularly jazz piano

maybe some big band and tenor too

thank you.
Fifteen answers:
jazzbo
2007-05-16 00:24:46 UTC
A big one! Assuming you are not familiar with ANY jazz, get some perspective by listening to the main genres.

1. Listen to New Orleans bands and lots of earlyish Louis Armstrong, say 1926-36.

2. Get to hear the great big bands of the thirties: Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Fletcher Henderson.

3. When you're ready listen to Charlie Parker and later Thelonious Monk (difficult at first).

Pianists: Art Tatum, Teddy Wilson, Bud Powell, Thelonious Monk.

Tenor: Coleman Hawkins, Lester Young, Sonny Rollins, John Coltrane.

That's enough to be going on with. Some would say this selection is old-fashioned - it stops at about 1960.
murdoch
2007-05-16 09:33:04 UTC
Jazz piano - try Raul di Blasio, Dave Grusin, David Benoit;

Tenor (vocals) - try Andrea Bocelli, Russell Watson, Mario Frangoulis, Alessandro Safina;

Tenor (sax) - try Candy Dulfer, Mark Turner, Ricky Peterson, Stanley Turrentine, David Sanborn, Tom Scott;

You might enjoy listening to Luiz Bonfa, Neil Schon, Craig Chaquico, George Benson, Rick Braun, Andy Summers/Victor Biglione, Esteban and Eduardo del Barrio.
d0nzi101
2007-05-15 22:30:25 UTC
ok man u should be a little more specific cause theres many types of jazz: classical, acid, latin, blues, big band, modern, and my favorite smooth jazz. Now what the guy earlier said David Benoit is awesome, but there are more.....sooooo much more. Keiko Matsui, she is so talented, Bob Baldwin, Brian Simpson, and the Jazzmasters, some of the few smooth jazz piano players. Big band music thats not my department but Michael Buble always has his big band with him, lol, k that was stupid anway "tenor?" Hope u meant tenor sax, but #one off all time best saxaphonist Dave Koz, dude he totally is awesome, check out his second newest cd, (his newest one is all right too, just redid a bunch of old movie tracks), Saxaphonic its called, dude man, sory got caught up in the extacy feelling, lol. Next, I would check out Boney James # two on my list, he has a new one out, called Shine, its pretty kewl. There are others Euge Groove, Kim Waters, Steve Cole, Jeff Kashiwa, Eric Darius, Gerald Albright, Mindi Abair, and sooooooo many others. I'll give a link to a site that has hundreds of others. But ya dude i'm just a jazz geek, well i kinda half to be, I am a sax player myself; tenor, alto, and soprano. hope it help, later don
Satchmo
2007-05-18 22:15:18 UTC
Bill Evans-Waltz for Debbie

John Coltrane-Blue Trane

Stan Getz and João Gilberto-Stan Getz and João Gilberto

Any thing Duke Ellington
rose-dancer
2007-05-16 05:29:51 UTC
My fave jazz pianist/keyboardist is Chick Corea. He is incredible!! His band Return to Forever (1970s-ish) was great too, has some excellent guitar work as well (provided by Al DiMeola (sp?) ).

Herbie Hancock is another great jazz pianist; lots of people LOVE him!! Personally I prefer the phrasing and "conversational stylings" of Corea, but that's just personal preference.

Another incredible jazz pianist is Lyle Mays, who plays with the Pat Metheny Group. PMG is driven by Mr. Metheny (who plays one of the most uniquely intriguing jazz guitars I've ever heard!!!! EXCELLENT!!), but the piano work, which also gets a bit of lead time, is superb, too!!! I'd recommend Pat Metheny Group to everyone anyway, no matter what your fave instrument is...just very uplifting, inspiring music.

But please check out Chick Corea, as a lover of piano!!!! You won't be disappointed :)

Peace.
goaltender
2007-05-16 04:55:20 UTC
Joe McBride! He's the best jazz piano player on the circuit. Great stuff. You can hear him frequently on the smooth jazz radio channels. His version of WALKIN' IN RYTHYM is outstanding.
2007-05-19 09:51:17 UTC
Ramsey Lewis
gospel_punk05
2007-05-16 06:46:40 UTC
Thelonious Monk

Fred Hersch

Joe Hisaishi f/ New Japan Philharmonic (Brother SDTK)

Blue Note Records has different styles of jazz

Herbie Hancock

Ahmad Jamal

A Few others I can't name, there's several of them
2007-05-16 07:18:59 UTC
Hell yes I can. It's Sidewayz by Najee. The album is "My Point of View." It's 5 minutes and 35 seconds.
killthepixelnow
2007-05-16 12:28:23 UTC
Duke Ellington is a good place to start... but I would also recommend Artie Shaw... you can't go wrong with those aretist. Check out in Amazon!
2007-05-15 21:01:51 UTC
David Benoit or Alex Bugnon.
cleanheart
2007-05-16 10:38:31 UTC
I rcommend some miles davis, how deep is the ocean
tregelaphus
2007-05-17 13:51:15 UTC
Get as many Bill Evans albums as you can.
JJAdams
2007-05-16 15:12:18 UTC
dave brubeck

count bassie